Friday, May 11, 2012

Gulliver's Travels

Errr... this blog is not about the fictional Englishman who travelled to Liliput, was bound by the tiny little easy-to-stamp-his-feet-on-and-crush (did I say tiny?) people, etc... Nahhhh! Jonathan Swift has nothing to do with the writing of this blog... I have everything to do with this blog! And the travels are all mine - yeah, that's right!

Some of you know that I finally took the big step days ago, shipped my ass back to Ago-Iwoye and packed the rest of my stuff back to Lagos. Goodbye to Ago (at least for now)! Without further unnecessary story, let's talk about my travels, shall we?

JOURNEY ONE

I decided to take the Oshodi route so I can get to the campus early. The plan was to meet my Supervisor and get done with the project thing. The bus gets fuller on time at Oshodi than any other place else, right? WRONG!!! But that's story for Journey 2. So I got into Oshodi bus from Iyana Ipaja, and this woman sitting in front of me kept urging me to come so she can lap me all the way to Oshodi. O_o huh? Lap me ke! When I kept ignoring her, she switched to a school kid who also wisely ignored her. What was all that about?! I dunno o!

JOURNEY TWO

First Garage - Just one woman inside the bus, sleeping and drooling all over the seat. No way am I gonna get into that bus! Fortunately as I was still thinking of what to do, a coursemate also arrives and we quickly decided to go climb the bridge and go over to the second garage.

Second Garage - *breathing heavily* Why does all Oshodi garages reek of urine?! F**king hard to breathe! A coupla people in the bus, I took my usual beside-the-driver seat. 30 minutes later, still trying not to completely consume the urine-reeking air via breathing, we're still sitting in the bus and it's not full yet! Lesson Learnt - Don't be eager to try new things, sometimes the old routine and old-fashioned way will do just fine!!! In other words, I shoulda f**king gone to Berger!

JOURNEY THREE

This was the Ultimate Search Journey. The quest to find 2 cabs for hire that will transport mine and my roommate's stuff to Lagos at a err... subsidised rate! First town, first garage, no luck with the subsidised rate. Second town, second garage, still no luck. Same town, private transporter - timing was not working for us; dude did not know how bad we wanted to leave Ago Iwoye and move on with our lives. So we gave him the one-digit salute... on to the next one. Same town, another private dude - subsidised rate at last!

THE GREAT JOURNEY

Who left Ago for Lagos 3:15 a.m. ? (Hint: Two girls who want to enjoy a journey devoid of a thousand stops by the 'men in black' and plenty other not-so colourful uniforms the Lagos State Government has come up with for their other agencies that also do nothing specific other than put their men on the roads to stop vehicles and at the end of plenty verbal hassle, collect a bribe. So, my roommate and her cab leaves at 3:15 a.m., mine leaves at 4:20a.m. Yes, I was scared shitless. I mean, anything could happen - it's a lot of bushes jungle between there and Lagos. But yeah, Dieu merci, even tho I didn't meet any Liliputians neither did I get ship/buswrecked (thank God!), one thing I did get was ... home! Safe and sound! *wide grin*

***
RIP to Linda - a friend and coursemate, who passed on last week :'(


6 comments:

  1. Lol! at least there was no buscapade this time. it could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an interestin' journey, scared woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe... but thanks to someone, my fear dissipated in no time!

      Delete