Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Anchors

"Sis. Faith, you'll be anchoring the second day of the Youth Convention for us". I looked up to be sure that I was the 'Faith' our Youth Leader was talking to... Me? Anchor? War! Cannot remember the last time I stood in front of a crowd... ok, I actually can. It was 2 years ago when a particular lecturer asked everyone in class to come out and defend their assignment, individually. But that was just for some 5 minutes, and even back then it seemed like a big deal. Who said standing in front of a crowd and talking was a joke?! How my legs didn't give way that day is still a mystery to me... so imagine how panic-stricken I became when they announced that 'Sis. Faith' was anchoring a programme that would last for over 2 hours! Jesu!

I had thoughts in my head... to back out or not to back out... Eventually, I decided to do it, I mean how hard can it be sef? Shebi it's just to stand up there and talk small and call out the next item on the list? Ehn, we go do am! Yes, I just said 'we'... introducing my co-anchor, Cyrus. As they dropped the duty of anchoring on my laps just like that, I also dropped the duty of co-anchoring on Cyrus' laps *evil laughter*. The Youth Leader called me aside to ask who I thought could co-anchor with me, and I just went to drag this guy from among the crowd (don't ask me why it was THIS particular guy, k?) Poor dude didn't even know what hit him, they had written down his name before he got the chance to ask me what that was about, hehehehe! In my head, I was thinking 'thank God, we're 2 now.'

So Cyrus and I started preparing for that day, discussing on the phone, exchanging notes, making sure our Ankara was ready for Saturday and the other outfit for Sunday too... you go think say e pass this anchoring wey we dey talk about (lol). But hey, everything in life needs planning, even evil things need to be strategically planned for. No be so?

A day before the D-day, we started getting all nervous and stuff, we even contemplated getting high before going up on stage (no tell Pastor o); but thank God it didn't come to that... (i think!) The D-day finally arrived, we hooked up before the time to conclude on whether we were still getting high or not (lol), we talked, laughed, went over conversations with the crowd in our head, ate Snickers, drank Malt... anything to ease the tension, and then we marched our bold selves to church!

It was a total success! How couldn't it have been? We had Adrenalin pumping through us like crazy, we had the best responsive crowd, the mics were perfect, I had the best co-anchor (no regrets that I chose him) and of course, he had me (no regrets that he agreed to do it!) At the end of the day, I had a new friend. Below is a picture of Cyrus and I after the Convention (tired like crazy!):


We sure are looking forward to next year to anchor together again, aren't we Cyrus?! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment