Thursday, December 1, 2011

Clash of the Behemoths

Inhabitants of Ogun State, Nigeria can agree with me that the past few weeks has been hot, and I’m not talking of the weather!

On the 11th of November, almost all the banks in the main Campus of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State were robbed. Properties were destroyed and lives were lost! Till date, students are still scared to walk into the campus to do anything… I know I am! (Pictures below):




On the 22nd of November, we had just concluded a test (in another of OOU’s Campus) when we saw students running and screaming. The uproar became wilder when gunshots were heard just at the entrance to the campus. In my mind, I was like “Oh, not again!” Something similar occurred in my first year in this school, and it was a very unpleasant experience! Okay, y’all wondering why people were running? It wasn’t another robbery… it was some frat thing… a certain powerful ‘one’ had been killed, and it was time to turn the school upside down!

A few days later, there was another robbery in Ijebu-Ode… following days later, group of banks were robbed in Shagamu too… heard people were killed too!

Few nights after these incidences, I was on my verandah trying to cool off, when people started running again, doors and windows were being closed, shops were being locked from the inside, gunshots were heard in the distant… oh, it wasn’t a robbery, nah, not at that time of the night. It was the other one – the frats’ collision again.

Between these two events, these two very bad occurrences that was clashing – the robberies and the battles – I was wondering what I was still doing in school, why I hadn’t run to Lagos to my mother’s breasts! I’ll tell you why… we’re in the middle of an examination period!

So I was wondering, aren’t we supposed to be protected. I mean, we can’t all pack up and go home to wait for the dust to settle, we had exams to write. So where was protection?! My friend answered the question for me – “there are over 10 police, or should we call it bribery stops, on the Shagamu Road going to the East.” There goes my safety and protection! Hell, my mother pays taxes, the parents of the kids that died in school that day of the robbery pay taxes! What for?! For us to have absolutely no protection, for us to get killed? *tears in eyes*

I wasn’t gonna write about this… but when I read minutes ago that groups of banks were being robbed again in Sapon, Abeokuta, I had to dedicate a blog to those whose lives might be taken today and those whose lives have been lost already in these heart-breaking, saddening events! *lighting a candle and saying a prayer*

No comments:

Post a Comment